Get Adobe Flash player

About LEDs

A Quick and Dirty History of Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs)

Electric lighting has not changed much in one hundred years or so, but it has brightened our lives. Since the first practical and reliable incandescent bulbs appeared in the early 1900s, the designs have not changed much at all. Incandescent bulbs are simple, cheap to produce, cheap to buy, but certainly not cheap to operate. With efficiencies averaging 5% and the remaining 95% going to heat production, they make better space heaters than lighting devices.

Read more: About LEDs